Cleveland Astronomical Society History - Celebrating Our 91st Year JASON JOHN NASSAU American Astronomer / Educator 1893-1965 Next page page 2 Then their next meeting on May 5, 1922, was held at the Warner & Swasey Observatory on Taylor Road in East Cleveland and they were then incorporated as a non-profit organization on May 28, 1922. From the beginning, membership in the Society has included men and women from all walks of life-lawyers, doctors, engineers, college professors and students, school teachers, business people, and many others who wished to learn more about astronomy. Since its inception in 1922, the Cleveland Astronomical Society has carried on a program of scientific and social meetings during nine months of the year, October to June.Case School of Applied Science took the Society under its wing from the organizations conception. As a result, C.A.S. has helped promote and provide members the opportunity to see, hear and visit with eminent scientists and engineers who are actively involved in research and contributing to our ever widening knowledge of the universe. He preformed his doctorial studies at Syracuse, and gained his Ph.D. mathematics in 1920. (His thesis was Some Theorems in Alternants.) He then became an assistant professor at the Case Institute of Technology, in 1921, teaching astronomy. He continued to instruct at that institution, becoming the University’s first chair of astronomy from 1924   until 1959 and chairman of the graduate division from 1936 until 1940.  After 1959 he was professor emeritus Previous page